Sunday 22 May 2016

Young adult cancer support groups

I never thought I'd be that person. 
When I got diagnosed my logic behind it was "well I'm very close to my family and I have great friend, support groups are for people that don't have that", right? SO WRONG! 


My first experience with this whole thing was when I was told there was a free retreat offered to young aldults batteling cancer and their supporter. I though "Hey, why not, a chance to get away from the routine and maybe meet some new people."
I never thought I would actually get attached to this community of people that really get what's happening. A group of people that's 100% there for you even without knowing a thing about who you are but at the same time knowing more than your closest friends! 



There are some things that are just so hard to explain to friends and family but with this group of people, words are often not even nessesary, and what a feeling that is. What a relief. A relief that you didn't know you could feel.

This post is to thank all these amazing people and encourage anyone in my shoes or that knows anyone in my shoes to give these communities a shot (Hope and Cope, CanSupport...) even if it might feel awkward at first! 


No comments:

Post a Comment